Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 40 Minutes Servings: 6-8
1 whole chicken from The Old Fashioned Farmstead (about 4 lbs.)
4.5 cups enchilada sauce (see recipe below)
6-8 medium corn tortillas
3 cups cheddar or monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Place your whole chicken in a crock pot with two cups of water and cook until it's done and the chicken can be easily pulled.
- Put the chicken aside and let cool. Shred the meat and discard the bones. Save the broth if you are making the enchilada sauce or reserve for later use.
- Pour 2.5 cups of the enchilada sauce over the chicken and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Spread .5 cups of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of your pan. We use a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Start layering the casserole with 2 corn tortillas. Top with 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the sauce, and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat starting with 2 more tortillas, then chicken, sauce, and cheese. Repeat last layer with the remaining ingredients, tortillas, chicken, sauce, and cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the cheese has melted and is starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes to cool. Serve warm.
- Enjoy with sour cream and fresh herbs!
Enchilada Sauce Ingredients:
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons chili powder
12 ounces crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth (or water)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
Enchilada Sauce Directions:
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the flour and chili powder while wisking for about 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, and the rest of the spices.
- Stir well and bring to boil. Turn heat down and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- No need to defrost your bird, you can put it in your crock pot frozen.
- You can use store bought sauce if you are in a hurry.
- Add another layer of tortillas on top for extra crisp.
- You can use more or less sauce/cheese if you like.
- Feel free to add other goodies in your layers such as peppers, onions, and beans! Yum!